The VTH is pleased to offer a wide range of veterinary diets (pet food including diets for puppies, kittens, and seniors), pet treats and supplements, and various over-the-counter products for your pets. We also have access to distributors to allow us to bring in special orders to meet your animal’s needs. We are soon rolling out an online platform, which will allow you easy ordering and access to thousands of products, which can be shipped to the VTH at no charge or shipped directly to your home. In the meantime, if you need pet food and supplies, you are always welcome to visit our hospital to see our selection of veterinary diets and pet products. We are open for purchases 7 days a week:
Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday- 8am to 10:30pm
Saturday and Sunday- 9am to 10:30pm
If you are curious as to whether a specific product is in stock, it is recommended that you call ahead and check in with our client services team who can assist you with your pet supply questions. Additionally, if you have special order needs, please call the front desk team to make those requests. They can be reached at 902-566-0950 during the hours above.
Operations during the Covid-19 Pandemic
During the Covid-19 crisis, pet food and pet supplies continue to be available to our clients of the Veterinary Teaching Hospital. There are several key differences in how those transactions are managed. We would ask that during this time:
- Clients call ahead for all pet food/pet supply purchases. This will allow us to confirm that the products you need are in stock and can be prepared in advance for road-side pick-up.
- Be aware that certain products may be unavailable due to supply chain disruptions.
- Please arrange a pick up time, and please come at that time.
- If possible, please prepay for these products via phone prior to pick up.
- Please park close to the hospital so that we can drop products close to your vehicle. We are unable to walk products across the parking lot.
- If you do not require assistance loading the products into your vehicle, they will be dropped on the other side of the barrier when you arrive for pick up.
- If you need to pay at time of pick up we can only accept debit and credit cards. Cash is not accepted at this time.
- Should you need to come into the building for some reason, you will be required to answer and pass a series of pre-screening questions before you can be permitted entry.
Thank you for your understanding of these measures designed to keep our staff, clients, and the public safe during this pandemic.
Since its establishment in 1986, the Atlantic Veterinary College (AVC) has been committed to improving the health and well-being of animals and humans through excellence in education, research, and professional service. More than 7,000 small and large animals are cared for on-site each year, with thousands more on farms, race tracks and fish farms. [more]
The hospital operates 24-7-365. Our front desk is staffed from 8 am until 11 pm 7 days a week, and clients can call to make appointments or purchase pet food, supplies, and medications during that time. Appointments for Community Practice and Specialty Services with the AVC Veterinary Teaching Hospital can be scheduled from Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm based on service availability.
Emergency care - 24 hrs
If you are a large animal client of the AVC Veterinary Teaching Hospital including Farm Service or Ambulatory Equine Service and are experiencing an emergency, please call 902-566-0950 and our after hours emergency team will contact the appropriate large animal clinician on call.
To make an appointment
AVC Small Animal Hospital
Companion animals, exotic animals, pocket pets, wildlife
AVC Large Animal Hospital
Horses, cattle, pigs, sheep, goats and other farm animals
AVC Ambulatory Equine Services
Farm and racetrack care for horses
AVC Farm Service
Herd health and emergency service for cattle, pigs, fish and other farm animals